"A Very Natural Thing" - 1974 - Fire Island Filming Locations Etc.
Link to "A Very Natural Thing" on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6klkTVWBco
I really enjoy the 1974 gay romance movie, "A Very Natural Thing" by Christopher Larkin (aka Purusha)
It's a really awesome time capsule of a movie, showing gay men trying to figure out love and sex and intimacy in the context of Gay Liberation and gay New York life. I'm very surprised that I'd not heard of the movie before.
The main couple in the movie goes to Fire Island (around 41:05) for some sexual exploration, about halfway through the movie, and there's a cool scene in the Meat Rack. The couple ends up at an orgy which is filmed at 257 Bay Walk. The lighting is pretty dim, but if you compare the photos you have on the Pines Modern site with the film, the house is recognizable, including the furniture and art on the walls. This scene begins around 44:11.
Much of the Pines section of the movie is filmed at 361 Ocean Walk. It's interesting to see the house in the movie in its more original state. The house looked very different then, much more dramatically modern (and striking, I think) than it does now, but it's recognizable still. There are some cool exterior shots that show the houses around it from a high elevation, and some neat interior shots. The part for this house begins at 42:38. A young Vito Russo appears in this scene wearing a Mickey Mouse t-shirt.
In addition to Vito Russo who is in the same scene, one handsome denizen of Fire Island Pines, Rhodes Cox (1946 -1986), shows up in the Pines portion of the movie, talking about "Wine Enemas". According to a friend, he partially inspired the character "Malone" in "Dancer from the Dance" by Andrew Holleran. In another part, shortly after, there's a cute guy that comes on screen at 43:56 (dancing with the main characters) and then again at 45:34 (making out with one of the main the characters, Mark) and I wish I could figure out his identity.
One of the main characters, Mark, is played by an actor using the psuedonym Curt Gareth and I'm not sure what his real name was. Thanks to Brian from BJLand, it was also possible to figure out that in 1974 he did a porn movie called "Moving" with Wakefield Poole, and other guys in that film include Val Martin and Casey Donovan, so he's in good company.
The 1973 Christopher Street Gay Pride March, and scenes of the Christopher Street Pier, are also recorded by the movie. It's an amazing way to view New York in 1973.
IMDB
A Very Natural Thing

Comments
Post a Comment